Before you watch the segment:
Talk to a partner about the following situations. Decide what you would do:
1) What would you do if you saw someone falling on the subway tracks? Justify it.
2) If you saved someone's life, would you expect a financial reward? Why/Why not?
3) Would you hide a secret in order not to hurt a stranger's feelings? Why/Why not?
Now watch the movie segment and decide who said each of the following lines:
Lucy (Sandra Bullock)
A Police Officer
1) Will you marry me? ____________________________
2) Are you okay? _______________________________
3) There’s a train coming and it’s fast. ________________
4) Are you family? ______________________________
5) She’s his fiancée. _____________________________
6) I need to ask you a few questions. _________________
7) He is in a coma. ______________________________
8) He was pushed from the platform at the train station. ___
9) She jumped on the tracks. ______________________
10) She saved his life. _____________________________
Now rewrite the sentences, using reported speech:
EX: 1) Lucy asked if he would marry her.
2) Lucy asked if he was okay.
Grammar Goal: Reported Speech
• Choose an attractive movie segment with several characters
• Decide which verb tenses you want to assess
• Select a few lines from the segment with the target structures
• Students check which characters said them in the segment
• Students come up with indirect speech statements