Friday, June 29
Splice: Simple Past x Past Perfect
I. Watch the movie segment and write 1 next to the activity that was performed first and 2 next to the second one.
( ) She looked at the ceiling.
( ) She stuck her tongue out of her mouth.
( ) She opened the suitcase.
( ) She saw herself in the mirror.
( ) She played with toys.
( ) She wore the crown.
( ) She looked at the picture.
( ) She closed the suitcase.
( ) She saw the cat.
( ) She fetched the cat.
( ) She held the cat tenderly in her arms.
( ) She ran with the cat in her arms.
II. Fill in the blanks with either the simple past or the past perfect forms of the verbs in parentheses. Remember that the action that took place first should be in the past perfect form and the most recent one in the simple past.
1. She _______ (look) at the ceiling when she ______ (stick) her tongue out of her mouth.
2. She ________ (open) a suitcase when she _____ (see) herself in the mirror.
3. When she ______ (play) with the toys, she ______ (wear) a crown.
4. She _______ (look) at the picture when she ______ (close) the suitcase.
5. She ______ (see) the cat when she ______ (fetch) it.
6. When she _____ (hold) the cat tenderly in her arms, she ______ (run) with it in her arms across the barn.
1. Describe her to your partner. Is she human? Why (not)?
2. What are some of her human characteristics?
3. Which ones are not?
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - SPLICE
1. She had looked at the ceiling when she stuck her tongue out of her mouth.
2. She had opened a suitcase when she saw herself in the mirror.
3. When she played with a toy, she had worn a crown.
4. She had looked at a picture when she closed the suitcase.
5. She had seen the cat when she fetched the cat.
6. When she held the cat carefully in her arms, she had run with it in her arms.