Although this movie is not a master piece, it has great moments and the story is appealing. Stiller has one of his best dramatic roles in his career, though. I used this beautiful scene to practice contrasting the use of the simple past x past continuous.
I. Watch the movie segment and then fill in the blanks with the simple past or the past continuous form of the verbs in parentheses:
1. When Roger _________ (enter) the bar, Florence ________ (sing) a song in the bar.
2. Roger ________ (listen) to Florence singing when Gina _________ (order) four beers.
3. Gina ___________ (introduce) herself while she ____________ (wait) for the bartender to bring beer.
4. They ___________ (talk) to each other when Gina _________ (invited) him to sit with her friends.
5. Florence ___________ (talk) to with her friends when she _________ (wave) to Roger.
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - GREENBERG
1. entered / was singing
2. was listening / ordered
3. introduced / was waiting
4. were talking / invited
5. was talking / waved