A. Read the passage below and complete the blanks with the verbs in parentheses, using with the first conditional. You have just received the visit of a total stranger who gives you a mysterious box with a button and makes the following offer to you:
If you _________ (push) the button, two things ________ (happen). First, someone, somewhere in the world, whom you don't know, __________ (die). Second, you ____________ (receive) a payment of one million dollars. Tax free. The payment ___________ (be) delivered by me in cash to you.
There are three restrictions:
1. You are not permitted to know any information about who's making the offer.
2. You are not permitted to discuss the details of this offer to anyone except your husband (wife).
3. You have 24 hours to make your decision.
4. Otherwise, the box will be reprogrammed and the offer will be made to someone else.
B. Now watch the first part of the segment (until the visitor leaves her house) and check your answers.
C. Now discuss the following questions with a partner. Remember that you are talking about an unreal situation, so you must use the second conditional. Then write down your answers. Start them with If...
1. What would you do if you were in her shoes?
2. How would you feel if you pushed the button?
3. How would you feel if you didn't push the button?
4. Would you push the button if you needed that money to save your son/daughter's life? Explain it.
D. Watch the second part of the segment and answer the following questions:
1. What were some of the things they considered before deciding whether to push the button?
2. What did they decide to do?
3. According to her, why did she do it?
A. push / will happen / will die / will receive / will be
B. Answers will vary