Before watching the segment:
Discuss with a partner the following questions:
1) What's your opinion about gambling? Should it be legalized?
2) Should casinos be allowed to run in your country?
3) Would you bet your money on a game like 21 or poker? Why (not)?
4) What would you do if you won a lot of money gambling? Would you play a litlle more or quit and spend what you won? Why?
5) Should lotteries be prohibited too? Justify it.
Now watch the video segment and fill in the blanks of the exercise with either the present perfect or the present perfect continuous, according to the information presented in the movie segment. If both are possible, use the continuous form. You may use affirmative or negative forms.Although the narrator is talking about the past, you are to suppose that what you SEE is the present, it's what is happening NOW.
1) The words "winner winner chicken dinner" _____________ (dance) around his head all night.
2) He ____________ (hear) it at least 14 times tonight.
3) He ___________________ (do) anything ilegal.
4) He ___________________ (count) the cards everytime he plays 21.
5) He ______________ (win) more than $640.000,00.
6) He ________________ (win) and _____________ (lose) for years.
7) He _______________ (use) codes to communicate with his partners when they gamble and cheat.
How to prepare your own video activity:
Assessing: Present Perfect x Present Perfect Continuous
- Select a scene in which the characters haven't finished the activity they were performing in the begining of the scene.
- Prepare a fill in the blanks exercise for students to use the target structures.
- Make sure you select activities that allow you to contrast the verb tenses.
If you like the activity or have suggestions, leave a comment, please. Have fun.